Cauli-Rice Is Nicer With Spice
Fancy adding a kick to your dinner time? This week Rola Wala, masters of flavour-fuelled Indian street food, are sharing their recipe for cauliflower rice, with added spice!
Rola Wala don’t do curry, putting a healthy ‘street-inspired’ twist on, it’s all about using Indian spices to create big, bold flavours that don’t shrink the wallet.
THE FRESH BITS
Large Cauliflower Head
5 Garlic Cloves
Thumbnail of Ginger
3 Cavelo Nero Leaves (Curly Kale will do!)
Half a Red Chilli
Juice of 2 Lemons
Tsp Cumin Seeds
Tsp Mustard Seeds
Half Tsp Fenugreek Seeds
Half Tsp Ground Turmeric
- Finely chop your garlic and ginger – keep them separate.
- Thinly slice red chilli.
- Remove the green leaves from the cauli and chop the head into 6 pieces.
- Throw into a food processor and blitz into large rough breadcrumbs – don’t overdo it!
- Layer Cavelo Nero leaves on top of each other and slice as finely as you can – Mix with chilli and blitzed Cauli.
- Heat a large heavy-bottom pan on a medium heat – coat the bottom of the pan with rapeseed oil.
- When it’s hot throw in your garlic and fry for 2 minutes – we want a golden brown colour.
- Chuck in cumin, mustard seeds and turmeric and fry for another minute before adding ginger and salt. Fry for further minute.
- Mix your paste into the blitz Cauli until it’s an even yellow colour.
- Give your pan a wipe-out and return to a high heat with a glug of rapeseed oil.
- When it’s hot add your Cauli and leave for a minute – don’t mix it, we want it to char and blacken a little.
- After a minute give it a quick turn and leave for another 2-3 minutes until slightly softened.
- Remove from heat and squeeze your lemons over – serve fresh and hot!
As well as their locations in London, Leeds and soon to be store in Oxford, Rola Wala will be at this year’s Stylist Live, serving their Sourdough Naan Rolls – a world first! – complete with delicious fillings. The perfect lunch-time fix.
Buy tickets here.
Stylist Live brings everything you love about Stylist magazine to life across three days of experts, interviews, comedy, food, beauty and fashion exclusives. 10 -12 November, Olympia London.